Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Atlanta MTNA

I'm typing this at Atlanta airport - in an hour or so I fly to Paris and then to Frankfurt for the Frankfurt Music Fair. I've spent the last 3 days at MTNA (Music Teachers National Association) www.mtna.org It's the biggest convention in the US for private music teachers - there were around 1700 delegates this year. I was represented by three distributors:
Frederick Harris for the Connections series (www.christophernortonconnections.com) 
Hal Leonard for all Boosey & Hawkes publications and also for Riffs and Grooves, a new 
compilation of Microjazz, Microstyles and Big Beats from Hal Leonard (www.halleonard.com
Novus Via Music (www.nvmusicgroup.com) for American Popular Piano

I played much of the time on the Novus Via stand, demonstrating all of the American Popular Piano series, particularly Levels 6-8 (Repertoire and Etudes) which are brand-new publications. Scott McBride Smith and I did a presentation to a gratifyingly large group

(at 8 am!) and I am starting to feel that the series is starting to really catch fire. It's only 2 years old and let's face it America is a big country! I have had invitations from various teacher groups around America to come and speak - it looks like a busy year ahead.

We had a great team, including Richard and Isaac Holbrook, brothers who play the piano very well and also teach very successfully in Denver, using APP to great effect. The picture
above is of Isaac, sporting a wig that emphasises the traditional skills aspect of APP. Nice eh?
We had our own "entourage"  ..

Below is a picture of me and Scott McBride Smith doing our stuff for the assembled teachers.


And here is the famous pianist Olga Kern (www.olgakern.comon the American Popular Piano stand.



No comments: